Friday, May 31, 2013

Wrapping Up Day 1

Mew Gull
I ended my last post with lunch time on Thursday.  The afternoon and evening weren't as productive in terms of additional lifers, but I had a great time nonetheless.  After lunch I went to Westchester Lagoon and enjoyed a peaceful hour scanning the waters.  An island in the center held two Hudsonian Godwits, a Pacific Loon groomed himself nearby, and a Common Loon swam around the opposite bank.  A Belted Kingfisher chattered his way up and down the lagoon.  Mew Gulls and Arctic Terns dotted the islands.  It was really nice spending time there, but I found nothing else, so I headed south to Kincaid Park.

I reached the chalet and started inside for a trail map.  On the door was a sign warning visitors to beware of a very aggressive female moose with her calf that had been roaming the woods.  I grabbed a map and headed out on one of the shorter trails near the park entrance.  I didn't get very far.  I saw a Swainson's Thrush, a few Robins, several Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Blackpoll Warbler.  And then there was a female moose ahead on the path.  I didn't hang around to find out if it was THE female from the warning sign.  I bailed out and decided it was time to eat and relax for a bit.

Arctic Tern
After dinner I decided to go back to the Potter Marsh boardwalk.  I had covered so little of it earlier in the day and I had heard a few interesting calls that I thought might be worth exploring.  I'm glad I went back.  It was an idyllic evening.  I added a drake Northern Shoveler to the day list and then wandered out to the northern end.  There I watched the tree line and caught a quick glimpse of a woodpecker disappearing into some trees.  I kept a close eye on the area and soon saw a woodpecker fly out and head east.  I watched carefully and clearly saw what looked like a striped upper back.  American Three-toed Woodpecker?  I think so.  I looked at a lot of photos online last night, and I think I have the call correct.

There was one other incident from the morning I neglected to mention.  I watched a bit of aerial combat between a Common Raven and a Northern Goshawk.  The Raven ceded the battlefield to the Goshawk and beat a hasty retreat despite a slight advantage in size.  Very cool.

By the end of the first full day of birding, I had nine lifers: Black-billed Magpie, Glaucous-winged Gull, Cackling Goose, Mew Gull, Violet-green Swallow, Common Redpoll, Northern Goshawk, Varied Thrush and American Three-toed Woodpecker. 

I'll try to get another blog out in the next two days.  Here's a preview: On Friday I had only 19 species, but six of them were lifers.  I saw what may be the most beautiful spot I've ever seen, and a I had a lynx between me and my car!

Looking east from Westchester Lagoon in Anchorage
Red-necked Grebe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!