Friday, May 31, 2013

Potter Marsh and Anchorage

Potter Marsh
I started the morning today at Potter Marsh, a gorgeous and sprawling marsh just south of Anchorage.  It's spectacular.  Think of thousands of gulls and terns nesting within a few steps of a major highway with the backdrop of snow-capped mountains, and you've got it.  I started at the southeastern end and the first bird I encountered was a Violet-green Swallow (Lifer) perched above the parking area.  A quick look at the marsh revealed both Canada and Cackling Geese, a Green-winged Teal, several Mallards and what appeared to be a swarm of gulls and terns a few hundred yards to the north.  I birded the perimeter of the parking lot and was delighted to see several Wilson's Warblers, a singing Dark-eyed Junco,  and loads of Yellow-rumped Warblers (who knew they were so beautiful?).  Motion on the ground behind a row of mailboxes caught my eye, and after a moment I saw two Common Redpolls (Lifer).

Common Redpoll
Next I headed back toward Anchorage to two pull-offs in the middle of the marsh.  Hundreds of Arctic Terns and Mew Gulls (Lifer) were nesting within a very short distance of where I stood, some in low grass right next to the shore.  Further north is a turn-off that leads to an extensive boardwalk system.  I wandered through this area for a long time, soaking up the scenery and fresh air while watching Tree Swallows buzz overhead and land just a couple of feet away on the boardwalk railing.  One Tree Swallow dropped to the ground right below me and seemed to be gathering nesting material.  He's pictured below.

My next destination was Hillside Park.  It was already late morning and the birds seemed to be resting, but I still had an experience I'll never forget.  When I began birding I was challenged to make a list of my Top Ten Most Wanted birds in North America.  Leading my list was the Varied Thrush.  From the first time I saw its picture, this was a bird I really wanted.  And there it was, no more than a hundred paces from the parking lot.  What an incredibly beautiful sight!  I also found Gray-cheeked and Swainson's Thrushes, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a few other common birds, but the Varied Thrush topped everything.

Well, that gets me to lunch ... and the birds are singing outside, so ... I gotta go birding!



Tree Swallow
 A lousy picture of a fabulous Varied Thrush

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!