Friday, January 25, 2013

Pasco Flycatchers

A Least Flycatcher that was kind enough to vocalize.
I love the internet.  I love being able to check my email and see photos of birds from all over the state, nation and world.  I love learning of a great find in Dade an hour or less after it has been found.  I love knowing that if I should ever find a rare species, I can pull my phone out of my pocket and post my find to Brdbrains, Birding Florida (on Facebook) and Facebook Birders.  Instantly, word of my find would reach birders all over the world.  I'm old enough to realize that this is just plain over-the-top cool.  My son takes these things for granted, but dang ... it really is incredible.  All of this is to say that my recent trip to Pasco County would not have happened without the multiple posts from local birders who have recently seen terrific birds and let the rest of us know exactly where to go to see them. 

Vermilion Flycatcher
The Red Van Gang left Gainesville at about 5:00 AM on Wednesday morning and (after stopping for breakfast) arrived at Clear Lake at 7:40.  By 7:55 we had our first target bird.  The previously reported Least Flycatcher showed up above the pavilion and flitted back and forth for a few minutes.  We got quick, clear but brief looks at the bird before it dove into a tree and disappeared.  The only photos any of us got was of either a partially obstructed view or a view from the back (above left).  Fortunately we also heard the bird call several times so we were confident that we were seeing the right bird.  It was a lifer for two of us and a state bird for the other.  We celebrated for a bit and then headed out for the second stop to look for a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, a Vermilion Flycatcher and Western Kingbird.

When we first reached Storch Lane we met a very personable young boy waiting for his school bus.  He told us that he had seen "that bird that has the tail that is real long and splits apart."  Bingo!  He also told us we could walk down the lane a bit, but not to go past the gate.  What a nice young man!  Soon his parents emerged from the house and told us we could walk down even further.  Within a few minutes we found the Vermilion (above right).  It was flying about the field on the left, perching long enough for us to get a few shots.  The we waited and waited for any sign of our other target birds.  Eventually I offered to walk back to SR-52 and scan the front fields along the road.  As soon as I got all the way out, my phone rang.  The Western Kingbird had made an appearance.  I got back there as quickly as I could, set up my scope and phone, and ... no bird.  But then the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher made an appearance and I got one quick photo (below left).  I was ready to celebrate again!  We had three of the four and I was very happy.  But before I could give out with a single "Huzzah!" one of our group saw the Western Kingbird on a small stick poking up from the ground in a back field.  I got my scope on it just before it took off. 

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
With all four target birds already in the bag we headed out to McKendree and Tyndall Roads checking each of the ponds along the way.  We added Belted Kingfisher, Hooded Merganser, Mottled Duck, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, and a variety of waders.  Finally we drove out to Enterprise Road and then up and down Auton and Singletary Roads.  However, we had no luck in relocating the shorebirds or sparrows mentioned in previous posts.  We did encounter a small flock of Chipping Sparrows on Singletary, but we found no White-crowned Sparrows anywhere.

Our time was limited so we had to call it a day and head back to Gainesville.  Nonetheless, in about five hours of birding we collected all four of the target flycatchers, and I added 12 county birds to my Pasco list, all thanks to the Pasco birders who were kind enough to post their birding activities in the eastern portion of their county where I had never birded before.  Isn't the internet wonderful?!

Greater Yellowlegs and Hooded Merganser
Another look at the Vermilion Flycatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!