Saturday, January 5, 2013

Birding in the Rain

Green Heron
Let's start with a geeky admission.  I'm a big Gene Kelly fan.  I loved his musicals and preferred his dance style over Fred Astaire because Kelly was just as creative but more athletic.  I especially liked "Singing in the Rain" - a terrific movie.  And so I was expecting Gene Kelly to show up at La Chua Trail on Paynes Prairie last Thursday with his dancing shoes, umbrella, and goofy grin and to break out into song and dance.  It would have fit the day (constant rain ranging from mist to steady) and the mood (I was having so much fun).

If you're familiar with the area you know that it's a relatively short walk from the parking lot to the old horse barn where the trail actually begins.  Yet it took us about 45 minutes to cover the ground because there were so many birds.  I was just beginning my 2013 county list, so every bird was important, and I wanted to see them all.  First we got stuck just inside the kiosk because we were surrounded by a mixed flock that included Yellow-throated and Black-and-White Warblers and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  Then we reached the point where the sidewalk turns toward the barn and, well, that was that.  White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows danced across the path spinning us around as we tried to follow them.  They were soon joined by a Gray Catbird and an Eastern Towhee.  I really tried to get some photos, but the little critters wouldn't hold still.

White-crowned Sparrowe
Next we walked the boardwalk and got nice looks at a Green Heron (above) and a Little Blue Heron (bottom, right).  The former is just beautiful, but it's easy to overlook the latter as there are so many around.  That's a mistake I'm learning not to make; they're really gorgeous birds and worth an appreciative look.  Click on the photo below and check out the purple hues on his head and the long feathering around his neck and back.  And during breeding season part of his bill will get powdery blue.  Gorgeous!

Also along the boardwalk we encountered another flock of White-crowned and White-throated Sparrows.  This group was more cooperative and I got the photo on the right.  They were also joined by a Vesper Sparrow

We saw Make Manetz on the trail and he pointed out a Sora in a nearby pond.  A bit later he located a Black-crowned Night-Heron (below).  Then he made a comment like, "Maybe we can find a Merlin along here."  Well Mike had already been birding for a while and had to leave.  Shortly thereafter, a Merlin flew right over us.  I didn't get a Merlin in 2012, so I was happy to start the new year with one on the "tick" side of the ledger.

Black-crowned Night-Heron
Farther along we encountered a momma hog with 12 little ones blocking the trail.  We tried stomping and clapping, but they generally ignored us.  On the other hand, the clapping sent an American Bittern into flight within a few feet of us.  I felt bad about disturbing it, but thankful for the clean look at a bird that is sometimes hard to see even when it's just 10 feet away.  Eventually the hogs sauntered away and we continued walking, picking up a Marsh Wren along the way.

Finally we reached the observation platform at the end of the trail and there was the target bird for the day, a female Vermilion Flycatcher.  She too was unwilling to be photographed despite our best efforts, but still it was a great sight.  A Wilson's Snipe rounded out the day's efforts - 44 species.

We headed back as the rain got even heavier.  I have to admit I was soaked to the skin - quite literally.  Only my socks stayed dry thanks to my new boots and the folks at L. L. Bean.  We stopped at a fast food joint to eat some chili and tally up the day's work.  The day ended with good talk, a few laughs, weak coffee, and yet another story of how (happily) whacky birders can be.

I love this stuff!


Little Blue Heron
Great Blue Heron giving me the evil eye!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!