Tuesday, September 18, 2012

It's All About the Bill

Snail Kite, Alligator Lake
My first field guide, even before I became a birder, was from the American Bird Conservancy.  In it the birds are arranged by bill shape, and the text focused on why birds' bills are shaped differently.  I learned about pointed bills that help probe for insects, conical bills that help crush seeds, and hooked bills that help rip into things.  Ever since, I've learned to look at bills critically and to learn from them.  So look at the very specialized bill of a Snail Kite (left).  My non-birding family and friends may not know that the Snail Kite has a very specialized diet that includes Apple Snails.  That bill is ideal for hooking onto the snail's shell and extracting the meat for a tasty meal. 

Alligator Lake at the "High School Boat Ramp"
I've seen very few Snail Kites, so I was excited to hear that there was one in nearby Columbia County.  I drove up there this morning between cloud bursts of a rainstorm.  Along the way we pulled off at a flooded field just south of Lake City.  It was on the east side of US 441 at the junction with CR 242A.  There were at least 200 Blue-winged Teal and over 20 Black-bellied Whistling Ducks on the water as well as some Common Gallinules and Pied-billed Grebes.  About 30 Wild Turkeys walked along the banks of the pond and in the adjoining fields.  There were also about a half dozen Lesser Yellowlegs.  Add a nice little collection of waders, crows and grackles, and we had a very birdy stop.  But the threatening storm clouds indicated that we needed to go after the Snail Kite right away.

The Snail Kite had been reported to be at the boat ramp near the high school.  In my opinion, that's one of the prettiest spots at Alligator Lake (above, right).  The bird was not present when we first arrived, but I did see three Limpkins and was thrilled to hear their rather raucous call.  It soon started to rain, so I sat in the car determined to wait it out.  In a few moments, another birder drove up and asked if I had seen the kite.  I was about to say no when the bird flew in and landed on a pipe just beyond the fishing pier (below).  We got killer looks and some great photos of a bird that is quite rare for this area. Then the skies opened and the downpour began, so we headed for home.

Snail Kite

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!