Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Listing - For Fun and Memories

OK, I admit it ... I'm a lister.  I have a separate list for each of Florida's 67 counties and for several states, mostly along the eastern coast from Florida to Pennsylvania.  I've heard a lot of criticism of listers claiming that we are only interested in the tick on a checklist and not in the birds themselves.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  First, I became a lister because I never want to take a bird for granted.  I have celebrated finding a Northern Cardinal in 66 Florida counties and about a half-dozen states.  Since I don't count heard birds, each of those ticks represent a moment spent watching and appreciating that gorgeous bird.  Second, listing has led me to some of the most beautiful vistas in Florida: Merritt Island, Ding Darling, Torreya, Florida Caverns, Key West, St. Marks, and many, many more.  And I have a reason to go back to Hardee County where I inexplicably dipped on a Cardinal twice!  Finally, each list represents a memory, perhaps a roadside sighting, a small discovery, a laugh-out-loud moment, or some terrific people.  So, I say list away ...  always complying with the ABA's Birder's Code of Ethics, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!