Thursday, July 26, 2012

A Plan for Peeps

I spent time today with several references on shorebirds.  Next time I go out, I have a plan for those little peeps.  I'm going to look for one that sweeps back and forth with its bill fairy straight down, think "Least" and then study the field marks.  I'll look for one that's in a little deeper water or probing a little deeper with the bill extended forward a bit, think "Western" and then look at field marks.  Finally, I'll look for one that's more aggressive, bill forward and feeding with nervous more shallow pecks, think "Semi-palm" and then look at field marks.  I'm trying to learn to observe behavioral patterns in shorebirds, and this looks like as good a place to start.  I have no clue if this will help, but what the heck, it's worth a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!