Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Woodpecker-palooza!

Russ Namitz
Ashland, Oregon
February 16 - 17, 2014

The birding community is big, active, and filled with friendly people.  One of the best is Oregon Big Year record holder Russ Namitz.  I had corresponded with Russ while planning this trip and he had agreed to show me around some of the birding hotspots near Ashland.  I arrived late in the afternoon on Sunday, checked into a hotel, and together we headed out for some owling.  We started at Lithia Park in Ashland where we checked nest boxes for a Western Screech-Owl.  A few of the boxes appeared to be missing, but we finally found one and there was the owl.  It sat in the box's entrance, leisurely watching traffic and pedestrians before a night's hunting.  What a cute little killer!

Next we headed out Dead Indian Memorial Road.  Our goal was to find a Great Gray Owl and possibly get a glimpse of one hunting in the moonlight.  We reached a spot about 18 miles along the road and got out.  For just a second, I forgot about owls.  The sky, untainted by even a hint of city lights, sparkled with billions of stars.  I raised my bins and billions more appeared.  The sight was both inspiring and a bit humbling.  Then Russ did his Great Gray imitation and one responded within a few seconds.  We stared into the darkness searching for movement or a silhouette that would tell us where it was, but had little luck.  At one point I saw something large fly from one of the Douglas Firs toward an open area, but it disappeared almost immediately.  Maybe a Great Gray?  But it didn't come from the direction of the one call we had heard.  In the end, I didn't add it to my life list, but I know that I was in a field with a Great Gray under a sky awash with stars.

Western Screech-Owl sitting on his porch.
The next morning, we started with a drive up Mount Ashland, stopping at a few spots where we might find White-headed Woodpeckers.  Like the night before, we heard one but couldn't locate it.  We were hampered by a snow and ice-covered trail, even deeper snow off the trail, a stiff breeze and temperatures in the upper 20s.  Nonetheless, I couldn't help but feel the excitement of it all.  I hadn't been in snow like this since the early '80s, and I have to admit that it felt good.  We continued up the mountain eventually reaching the ski lodge, but by then the snow and fog had visibility down to maybe a hundred yards,  so we gave it up and turned toward our final destination, Emigrant Lake.

Russ was driving his car ahead of mine when suddenly he pulled off and pointed to an adjacent field - Western Bluebirds!  That had been on my top ten most wanted list for a long time.  I took a few moments to relish the sight before getting back on the road and entering the park.

Acorn Woodpecker!
As soon as we got out of our cars, Russ called out, "Acorn Woodpecker!" I dashed toward the spot and looked at another of my most wanted.  Then I heard Russ, "Red-breasted Sapsucker!"  I ran over there and got a quick glimpse at another most wanted but it flew across the road too soon. I decided to follow it for a bit and was able to get a decent photo.  I watched an Oak Titmouse for a few minutes, and then we drove to another part of the park.  Here was another patch of Black Oaks on a hillside.  Again, Russ said he heard another woodpecker ... this time a Lewis's ... the fourth top-ten bird of the day.  We hustled after it, got a glimpse here, a glimpse there, and finally a clean look.

It was time for Russ to return to his own life and I turned toward Klamath Falls on Highway 66.  I left behind memories of a new friend and a bunch of incredible birds.  Ahead was a drive to be remembered, but I'll tell you about that tomorrow.

Red-breasted Sapsucker
Meanwhile, I stood at 11 life birds for the trip:

Brewer's Blackbird
Rough-legged Hawk
Prairie Falcon
Spotted Towhee
Western Screech-Owl
Mountain Chickadee
Oak Titmouse
Western Bluebird
Acorn Woodpecker
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Lewis's Woodpecker





Western Bluebird



A distant view of a Lewis's Woodpecker

Lower Elevation.  My life Oak Titmouse was in a bush on the left.


Top of the Mountain

1 comment:

  1. All of these are neat, but the Lewis's is amazing! Great woodpecker-palooza!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!