Thursday, August 9, 2012

So, Studying Actually Works?



I'll never be the birder that John Hintermister is, but I'm smart enough to follow in his footsteps ... at least when he practically draws a map.  Earlier this week John posted a description of his success in finding shorebirds in Columbia and Suwannee counties.  He even gave us specific descriptions as to where to go, so I did!  The Red Van left Gainesville just after 7:00 AM and got back just before 6:00 PM.  The intervening hours were packed with shorebirds!
Long-billed Dowitcher


We started out in Columbia just southwest of Lake City on Cypress Lake Road.  We quickly found a large complex of ponds and muddy areas that was filled with birds.  Among them were a Semipalmated Plover,  Long-billed Dowitchers (top left),  Semipalmated, Least, Spotted, and Pectoral (middle left) Sandpipers, and both Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs.  There were American Coots, Common Gallinules, Pied-billed Grebes and Anhingas sprinkled around the ponds  But the best sighting came just before we left.


Semipalmated (L) and Pectoral Sandpipers
It was a very small tern.  So small that I first guessed that it might be a Least Tern.  Once again, I proved that I shouldn't guess until I actually see what I'm looking at and study it. The top of the wings were dark, the top of the head was dark, and the tail only slightly notched.  We watched it in flight and while standing.  I'm convinced it was a Black Tern.  Unfortunately, the bird was too far away to get a usable photo. 

Next it was on to Birley Ave. and a solitary Solitary Sandpiper (bottom left).  It was the only bird in the water, but it was literally right in front of us.  He seemed to find us uninteresting, so we were largely ignored.  While watching it, we heard a singing Blue Grosbeak that I got the scope on.  I was surprised later in the day to learn that it was a county lifer. 

Next we were on to Suwannee County and Gum Slough on US 90.  There were loads of waders including some gorgeous Glossy Ibises.  We were also pleased to see a Black-bellied Whistling Duck fly in, the only county lifer at this stop.  Next we went to Suwannee River State Park and walked down the boat ramp to the water's edge.  I guess you can say that we actually were ... wait for it ... way down upon the Suwannee River!  Anyway, an approaching storm limited our stay and there were very few birds around. 

Solitary Sandpiper
We headed out of the park on CR 132.  In no time we found a pond that had Killdeer, and Least, Pectoral, Spotted and Solitary Sandpipers.  While we stood there, I heard a Bobwhite calling.  I walked off in that direction just in time to see it walk out of the field just a few feet in front of me, casually approach the road, and then fly across.  A nice look at a beautiful bird, and a county lifer too!

It was time to head back toward Gainesville, but I chose to use US 129 rather than the interstates so we could check out any ponds we might find.  Then just north of Live Oak we found a pond that added a few more birds to our county list for the day - Western and Semipalmated Sandpipers and both Yellowlegs.  By the way, the Westerns were belly deep in water and feeding just the way I described in an earlier post.  So, that studying thing actually works?  Who knew!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!